HERE’S A LITTLE INFORMATION ON OUR EPOXY AND HOW IT IS APPLIED
What is Epoxy and How does it work?
Epoxy is a resin that is used as a coating because of its chemical resistance, durability, and strength. Epoxy coatings are normally used on floor surfaces in commercial and residential buildings. The 3 mains types of epoxy currently available on the market are as follows:
- Water-based epoxy – Water-based epoxy is water soluble and does not contain solvents. This epoxy is the most environmentally friendly however that finish will not last as long as the other types of epoxy.
- Solvent-based epoxy – This epoxy contains solvents and is the oldest form of epoxy. The solvents evaporate during the drying process which results in a much harder finish compared to that of a water-based epoxy. Since this type of epoxy contains solvents, it can often be very smelly and is not suggested for areas that are not well ventilated.
- 100% solid epoxy – This type of epoxy is our favourite which is what we use on all of our jobs. It is low-odor and results the surface once cured is resistant to staining and incredibly hard.
ABOUT OUR EPOXY PRODUCT
At Toronto Epoxy Pros we use Enviro Epoxy products for all of our projects. Enviro Epoxy is a 100% solid, commercial grade epoxy which is environmentally friendly, CFIA approved, has zero Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and is non-flammable. These qualities make the epoxy perfect for both residential and commercial applications.
HAVE A LOOK AT SOME OF OUR WORK
- Patching: Patches are applied to any large cracks in the floor surface prior to the application of the epoxy to ensure a smooth surface. Smaller cracks are normally not patched as these cracks are normally filled when the epoxy is applied.
- Grinding: In order to ensure proper adhesion of the epoxy, we first start by sanding or diamond grinding the floor surface. This opens up the pores of the floor surface and also helps removes the previous coating. It should be noted that this process will not level the floor or correct imperfections. If the floor surface is not level or has many deep cracks, we may suggest parging the floor surface prior to the epoxy application to ensure a smooth finish.
- Vacuuming: Before applying the epoxy coating, the floor surface must be completely clear of any debris regardless of how small as it can affect the adhesion and/or finish of the epoxy. We use industrial vacuums to vacuum the floor surface which removes all debris and dust particles. This ensures that nothing is trapped between the floor surface and the epoxy once it is applied.
- Application of Epoxy: Finally, 2 coats of 100% solid, commercial grade epoxy is applied to the entire floor surface. The epoxy is applied using rollers and the squeegees. Once the epoxy is applied, it takes about 24 hours before the floor can accommodate normal foot traffic and 48 hours before heavy machinery can be used on the floor.
FIND A COLOUR THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Solid Colour Options
* Colours may appear slightly different
Flake Epoxy Options